Summer 2022 Youth Artist Exhibition Program: Visual Remix
Philadelphia-based illustrator and muralist, Kah Yangni, will lead a group of emerging Youth Artists to create an ArtWorks V² Gallery exhibition based on the art of collage. Over the course of two weeks, Yangni, will help the youth to explore the art of collage and mixed media by using cut paper, screenprinting, image transfers, Photoshop, and more to make bold, fresh art. 2 additional days of the program will be enrichment sessions for the Youth Artists. The end of the program will culminate in an exhibition featuring the “visual remixes” of the participants.
The deadline to apply is Friday, July 1, 9:00 PM EST. DEADLINE EXTENDED: Apply by July 6, 11:59 PM.
Previously, Yangni has worked with entities like the New York Times, Vice Media, The Washington Post and with causes like the Transgender Law Center. They use a variety of mediums, like screen printing, collage and murals, to make heartfelt, neon art about justice, queerness, and joy.
– Youth Artists will learn mixed media techniques and how to tell stories through art
– Youth Artists will learn how to prep art surfaces and scale work
– Youth Artists will craft artist statements, descriptions of work, and describe their work and learnings in an Artist Talk
Program Schedule (2 Weeks)
July 11th – July 22nd
Monday – Friday: 9:00AM – 1:00PM
Enrichment Schedule (2 days)
Monday, August 8th: 5:00PM – 7:00PM
Saturday August 13th: 10:00AM – 1:00PM
ArtWorks Studios at Solway Gallery (424 Findlay St, Cincinnati OH)
August 26th – October 7th, 2022
There will be an opening reception with an artist talk on August 26th, 4:00PM-7:00PM
– Who should apply? Youth ages 16 – 23
– What is the cost? There is no tuition required and all youth participants will be supplied with materials.
– Is this a paid opportunity? No. However, program participants will price and sell their work in the gallery. ArtWorks will take a 10% commission fee for any work sold. If you are interested in a paid Apprenticeship position, please visit the Job Opportunities page on our website at www.artworkscincinnati.org.
IMPORTANT: THIS WORKSHOP WILL BE OPEN TO 8 YOUTH ARTISTS ONLY. Selected applicants will need to commit to attending all classes.
COVID-19 Protocol: We highly encourage all ArtWorks artists to be fully vaccinated prior to working in the program. If you are not fully vaccinated, we ask that you please remain wearing your mask for the safety and protection of others.
ArtWorks is an award-winning Greater Cincinnati nonprofit that transforms people and places through investments in creativity. The organization collaborates with community organizations and residents, businesses, governments, foundations and nonprofits to build creative works of art that bolster the region’s global reputation as an arts destination. ArtWorks employs professional artists who inspire and mentor diverse teams of youth, ages 14-21, helping them build 21st century career-readiness skills. These teams have completed more than 14,000 public and private art projects in its 26 years, including more than 200 permanent outdoor murals.