Spring/Summer 2022 Youth Artist Exhibition Program Application: Sustainable Creativity
About the Youth Artist Exhibition Program & the ArtWorks V² Gallery
The Youth Artist Exhibition Program through the ArtWorks V² Gallery presents collaborations with outstanding artists leading youth (ages 16-23) in gallery apprenticeship studios to create new works of art, guided by the artist. Youth will learn the materials and methods of the artist, making their own unique and individual works of art. A group exhibit will be the outcome of each studio with all works for sale and proceeds going directly to youth artists. Local curators and museum partners will enhance the learning with a foundational gallery exhibition curriculum for all emerging artists. Youth will represent their art through artist statements, gallery talks, opening events, and community events. Artists will host community workshops to engage with residents through art making activities during the run of each exhibit.
Radha Lakshmi and Youth Collaborators will learn to print on paper using eco-friendly methods. Lakshmi, a Visual and Community Artist, is also a trained printmaker. Lakshmi was born and raised in Chennai, Tamilnadu, India, now a long-time Cincinnati resident. Her art-making has moved from printmaking to ritual threshold ephemeral art, emphasizing eco-friendly materials. Youth artists will learn about rituals of India, including Mandalas, how to eco-print on paper and tell their stories through printmaking techniques. With the guidance of the lead teacher, Radha Lakshmi, Youth Artists will create individual artworks using printing and layering with flowers and leaves resulting in a stunning visual composition using storytelling. The deadline to apply is Friday, April 29, 2022 at 9:00pm EST.
- Youth Artists will produce several individual artworks.
- Youth Artists will learn about Mandalas and rituals from India.
- Youth Artists will learn about basic printmaking.
- Youth Artists will learn how to eco print on paper with flowers, leaves, and dyes.
- Youth Artists will research and learn what other eco-printers use and succeed with.
- Youth Artists will learn storytelling through mindful journaling.
- Youth artists will create collaborative ephemeral mandalas.
- Youth Artists will craft artist statements, descriptions of work and describe their work and learnings in an Artist Talk.
May 9th – June 18th (5 Weeks)
- Mondays: 5:00pm – 7:00pm
- Wednesdays: 5:00pm – 7:00pm
- Saturdays: 11:00am – 2:00pm
First Class will begin Monday, May 9th at 5:00 PM
- Mondays and Wednesdays @ Artist’s House
- Saturdays @ Carl Solway Gallery (424 Findlay St , Cincinnati OH)
Gallery Opening & Exhibition Dates:
- Opening date: June 24, 2022
- Closing date: August 13, 2022
- Who should apply? Youth ages 16 – 23
- What is the cost? There is no tuition required and all youth participants will be supplied with materials.
- Is this a paid opportunity? No. However, program participants will price and sell their work in the gallery. ArtWorks will take a 10% commission fee for any work sold. If you are interested in a paid Apprenticeship position, please visit the Job Opportunities page on our website at www.artworkscincinnati.org.
IMPORTANT: THIS WORKSHOP WILL BE OPEN TO 8 YOUTH ARTISTS ONLY. Selected applicants will need to commit to attending all classes. Application DEADLINE: Friday, April 29th 2022, 9 PM EST.
COVID-19 Protocol: All ArtWorks artists will be required to provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination on the first day of the program. The vaccination series should be completed no later than 14 days prior to the first day and proof of vaccination or valid exemption will be required if accepted. Please reach out to email@example.com if you have questions.
ArtWorks is an award-winning Greater Cincinnati nonprofit that transforms people and places through investments in creativity. The organization collaborates with community organizations and residents, businesses, governments, foundations and nonprofits to build creative works of art that bolster the region’s global reputation as an arts destination. ArtWorks employs professional artists who inspire and mentor diverse teams of youth, ages 14-21, helping them build 21st century career-readiness skills. These teams have completed more than 14,000 public and private art projects in its 25 years, including more than 200 permanent outdoor murals.