Noel Maghathe // Parts or Pieces
ArtWorks is elated to work with Cincinnati-based Performance Artist and Curator Noel Maghathe. Teen and young adult Artists will meet for three hours twice a week to develop their practice on performance art. Teen and young adult Artists will learn the basic history of Performance Art through a diverse range of contemporary performers. Teen and young adult Artists will learn to speak conceptually about their work and build an understanding of why they are creating it, a vision of the purpose, and the reasoning behind their work. They will also gain experience learning how to display performance work and get an understanding of curating work in a space.
Teen and young adult Artists will have the opportunity to learn not only about showcasing their work but also the thought process of curating the show as a whole, gaining an understanding of researching art information, writing about art, and placing artwork within gallery spaces, along with educating our audience on the work.
- Artists will learn the basic history of Performance Art, learning about a diverse range of performance work.
- Artists will learn to explore their identity through movements and intentional actions to convey meanings.
- Artists will learn different ways to practice and create performances.
- Artists will develop observation, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills.
- Artists will learn how to document and display performance art in different ways.
- Artists will learn to speak conceptually about their work and build an understanding of why they are creating this work as well as an understanding of the purpose and reasoning behind their work.
- Artists will have the opportunity to curate the show as a whole, learning about the placement of work in spaces and creating intentional meanings and connections through curation.
My work focuses on my Palestinian heritage and the occupation of Palestine. My love and pride for my country are under constant strain with the pain of occupation and a longing for my country. I form both performances and performative objects to express emotions and experiences to educate viewers on the life and struggles we face at home and in the diaspora.
I have begun focusing on curation as a way to express these thoughts as well. My curation practice highlights queer and women Arab artists. I strive to create a space for us to be and dig deeper within ourselves rather than focus on only identity. Trying to uncover the multilayered stories and redefine critical joy for us.
Noel Maghathe is a queer, mixed Palestinian-American performance installation artist. Maghathe creates and performs with queer functional tools to navigate the world. Connecting with other Palestinian artists in the diaspora is vital to the work Maghathe creates. Maghathe is also an emerging curator, with their practice focusing on highlighting queer and women Arab artists. Maghathe holds a BFA from the Art Academy of Cincinnati in 2017, where they were awarded the Stephen H. Wilder Traveling Scholarship. In 2022 Maghathe exhibited at the Cincinnati Contemporary Arts Center, Pancake House Gallery, Maelstrom Collaborative Arts, and more. They are currently creating work in their studio based in Cincinnati.
July 11 – August 17
Tuesdays and Thursdays (afternoons)