ArtWorks is an award-winning Greater Cincinnati nonprofit that transforms people and places through investments in creativity. The organization collaborates with community organizations and residents, businesses, governments, foundations and nonprofits to build creative works of art that bolster the region’s global reputation as an arts destination. ArtWorks employs professional artists who inspire and mentor diverse teams of youth, ages 14-21, helping them build 21st century career-readiness skills. These teams have completed more than 14,000 public and private art projects in its 26 years, including more than 200 permanent outdoor murals.
Job Title: Director, Marketing and Communications
Compensation: Salary commensurate with experience. Comprehensive employee benefits package includes health insurance including vision and dental, generous paid time off, 401k plan, and investment in career development.
- Salary range: $41,000 – $60,000
Location: ArtWorks Administrative Office, 2460 Gilbert Avenue, Cincinnati, OH 45206
Reports to: Senior Director, Advancement
Start date: ASAP
Job Description: ArtWorks seeks a Director of Marketing Communications to lead the planning and execution of marketing and communications to advance the organization’s mission to transform people and places through investments in creativity. This is an exciting opportunity to impact an amazing organization and support its growth, building on its strategic plan. This role is a leader in the organization with an important external presence to community. Working closely with the Senior Director of Advancement this role is responsible for the development and implementation of marketing and communications strategies and public relations activities, both external and internal. This role will coordinate the marketing and communication efforts with other functions of the organization and ensure they support the goals of the department and organization. The ideal candidate will be resourceful, proactive and collaborative. This individual will be a spokesperson with tactical ownership of the marketing and communication plan. They will be responsible for writing and editing high-quality and compelling communications that effectively reach diverse communities while supporting the brand identity of the organization.
- Plan and develop key messaging and storytelling priorities for each season
- Implement institutional and program-specific marketing and communication plans and campaigns in support of annual programming and fundraising priorities
- Manage messaging and content in support of key branding strategies across ArtWorks’ website, email, e-newsletter channels and social media.
- Lead ArtWorks earned media campaigns including proactive local PR efforts and media strategy to tell our story via press relations and other communications platforms
- Collaborate with other organizational functions in support of successful community engagement strategies and partnerships
- Maintain calendar to ensure advance promotion of ArtWorks and audience development, representation and participation across key community events
- Track audience across social media, earned media and public event participation.
- Lead process to apply brand standards to all communication and experience touchpoints
- Ensure communications are culturally competent and reach diverse audiences.
- Oversee the development, design, distribution, and maintenance of high-quality print and electronic collateral including, but not limited to annual report, brochures, presentations, photography, videos, newsletters, and reports.
- Ensure that brand identity, messaging and marketing and communications strategy are infused in all organizational efforts
- Develop, implement, and evaluate an annual marketing and communications plan that includes social media, print and digital content, and email marketing.
Manage department staff of one and outside creative vendors as necessary to support creative projects and design related to brand, website, merchandise development and more.
Qualifications and experiences:
- Commitment to ArtWorks’ mission, vision, values, culture and Equity, Diversity, Inclusion & Accessibility Plan
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Communications, Public Relations, Journalism or other equivalent experience
- Minimum 3+ years of experience working as a marketing communications professional
- Nonprofit/arts marketing experience preferred but not required
- Demonstrated track-record of managing communications across multiple platforms
- Proven ability to build external press relations
- Must be willing and able to attend evening and weekend arts or community events
Skills and abilities:
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Ability to interact confidently and persuasively with external media
- Ability to manage time well, particularly while managing competing priorities
- Proficiency with MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, social platforms and information management systems
- Adhere to ethical behavior and business practices
- Detail oriented
- Sets priorities, develops work plans and schedules, monitors and reports progress
- Creative, flexible and innovative, with proven ability to design and implement new initiatives.
Work cooperatively and effectively with others to set goals, solve problems and make decisions that improve team/organizational effectiveness and drive results
- Be part of an amazing mission and make a mark in transforming the Greater Cincinnati region with public art, building community, and investing in young artists.
- Help build a future home for ArtWorks with a site for permanent art studios, gallery, and event space to build a more vibrant community.
- Be part of a dynamic team that embraces a growth mindset.
- Be part of a collaborative, creative and flexible work culture that is people centered.
Join a team that values diversity, equity, and inclusion in community-centered work that creates positive change. Read our full commitment here. ArtWorks, an equal opportunity employer, is strongly committed to building and retaining a diverse team that creates an inclusive workplace, which harnesses each voice to collectively advance ArtWorks’ mission.