ArtWorks, an equal opportunity employer is strongly committed to building and retaining a diverse team that creates an inclusive workplace which harnesses each voice to collectively advance ArtWorks’ mission.
Job Title: Junior Muralist
Salary Range: $15.28 per hour (up to 12 hours per week)
Job Type: Part Time, Non-Exempt, Ages 18-24
Location: ArtWorks Solway Studios, 424 Findlay Street, Cincinnati, OH 45214
Reports to: Mural Studio Managers
Start date: January 23, 2023
Application Deadline: January 2, 2023, 11:59 p.m.
ArtWorks is expanding its mural production studio program, launched in 2022, and is seeking ten (10) Junior Muralists who will fulfill a range of client services with a focus on mural design and production under the guidance of the Mural Studio Managers. This unmatched opportunity will provide emerging artists with an opportunity to develop skills in mural design, client management, and mural production.
The program offers participants the opportunity to hone their skills and talents toward an art career alongside professional teaching artists. Junior Muralists will learn all aspects of ArtWorks’ mural-making process including client management, design, mural techniques, and budgeting. Participants work as a collaborative team to support client projects with the opportunity to present themselves as artists to clients. There may be times that the role supports or assists other year-round studio because of capacity needs.
Additionally, Junior Muralists will engage in a series of professional development opportunities to advance their resume, cover letter writing, portfolio development, budgeting, client management, and networking skills.
This program will have a flexible schedule throughout the year, but Junior Muralists will be required to work up to 12 hours a week on various project assignments. Junior Muralists will be required to attend weekly meetings with the full team and monthly professional development and enrichment trainings.
- Attend weekly meetings for the Mural Studio.
- Work with the Mural Studio Managers to determine the work schedule.
- Uphold strategies and systems for studio management, maintenance, and file/spatial organization. Ensure all aspects of an assigned project are uploaded, accessible, and maintained through to project closing.
- Professionally communicate through ArtWorks’ project management software (Basecamp), utilizing ArtWorks best practices.
Design & Production
- Learn the various aspects of mural design and production for interior and exterior mural projects.
- Lead, self-direct, or take accountability for delegated responsibilities on project sites for timely project progression.
- Create design concepts and final designs, as assigned.
- Respond to critiques, and feedback on artwork, and adjust to client needs and ArtWorks art production standards.
- Develop a personal portfolio of design work related to mural projects.
- Attend monthly professional development workshops and trainings.
- Complete professional development program milestones, including portfolio reviews, cover letter and resume writing workshops, networking opportunities, and artist talks.
- Participate in completing reviews, program evaluations, and surveys.
- Learn the various aspects of client relationship management including professional communication, project scope definition, expectations, deadlines, pricing, and budget development.
- Establish and maintain positive client relationships.
- Support the development and pitching of project proposals/presentations and creative briefs.
- Support ongoing communication with the Mural Studio Manager, clients, and artists/designers (as needed).
- Act as an ArtWorks ambassador to current and potential clients and guests.
Qualifications and experiences:
- Must be between 18 and 24 years old at the start of employment.
- Commitment to ArtWorks’ mission, culture, and DEIA policies and practices.
- 1 – 2 years of art classes at high school or college level, or equivalent independent practice.
- Collaborative Experience(s) with art projects and/or a willingness to work as a team.
- Basic knowledge of artistic software including Illustrator, Photoshop, Coral Paint, and Procreate a plus, but not required.
- Flexibility with work hours that accommodates studio and team needs.
- Willing to learn from and take direction from professional artists.
- Proof of COVID-19 vaccination before the first day of employment. The vaccination series should be completed no later than 14 days before the first day of employment. Please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions.
Skills and abilities:
- Creative, flexible, and innovative.
- Curious about facts and trends; a continuous learner.
- Work cooperatively and effectively in a team environment to set goals, solve problems, produce art, and execute projects.
- Basic organizational, problem-solving, and decision-making skills.
- Effective communication skills that include listening, receiving and giving feedback, oral, written, and non-verbal communications .
- Ability to manage time, particularly while managing competing priorities.
- Proficiency with MS Word and PowerPoint, Excel is a plus.
- Practice ethical behavior and business practices.
- Detail oriented.
- Comfortable with public presentations including the willingness to interact and speak in front of groups.
- Interest in learning and developing client management skills.
- Be part of an amazing mission and make a mark in transforming the Greater Cincinnati region with public art, building community, and investing in young artists.
- Help build a future home for ArtWorks with a site for permanent art studios, gallery, and event space to build a more vibrant community.
- Be part of a dynamic team that embraces a growth mindset.
- Be part of a collaborative, creative, and flexible work culture that is people-centered.
- Join a team that values diversity, equity, and inclusion in community-centered work that creates positive change. Read our full commitment here.
Click here to apply. Please include a cover letter, resume, 5 portfolio samples, and three references. Please include images of your art that show your distinct style and range as an artist. Please combine all images into one PDF document no larger than 4MB. Upload using the additional materials button.
Application Deadline: DEADLINE EXTENDED – Monday, January 2, 11:59 p.m.
Since 1996, ArtWorks has collaborated with community organizations and residents, businesses, governments, foundations, and nonprofits to build creative works of art that built the Greater Cincinnati region’s global reputation as an arts destination. ArtWorks has employed and trained over 3,500 professional artists and 4,000 youth, ages 14 – 24. We invest in our creative economy by creating jobs that support local talent, pairing professional artists to inspire and mentor diverse teams of youth, helping them build 21st-century career-readiness skills. Over the past 26 years, this collaborative approach has created a citywide gallery with more than 14,000 public and private art projects, including more than 250 permanent outdoor murals.