In 2022, ArtWorks will launch its first ever year-round employment studio, providing youth (ages 18 – 24) with consistent employment for an entire year. To lead this new pilot program, ArtWorks is seeking a Mural Studio Manager who will fulfill a range of client services with a focus on mural design and production, while providing youth with deep mentorship and guidance. This unmatched opportunity will enable a talented Teaching Artist with expertise in mural design and production to work with a talented artistic team year-round and maximize their social impact through the power of ArtWorks’ mission and work.
Reporting to the Director of Creative Projects, the Mural Studio Manager is responsible for the implementation of ArtWorks’ program mission and overseeing projects within the context of the Mural Studio. The Mural Studio Manager works on external client projects, as well as ArtWorks internal projects when needed, to create and produce public and private works of art of different scales that generate revenue for the Mural Studio and ArtWorks at large.
ArtWorks is in search of a high energy and organized individual with the ability to inspire and be inspired by young people. They should be able to engage young people in the design and production process by breaking down steps to help them uncover their best ideas and strengths. They should be a believer in the power and impact of art, diversity, and collaboration.
ArtWorks, an equal opportunity employer is strongly committed to building and retaining a diverse team that creates an inclusive workplace which harnesses each voice to collectively advance ArtWorks’ mission.
Job Title: Mural Studio Manager
Salary Range: $25,000 (Part-time, 25hrs/wk)
Location: ArtWorks Administrative Office, 2460 Gilbert Avenue, Cincinnati, OH 45206
Reports to: Director of Creative Projects
Start date: May 16, 2022
- Lead projects and teams from start to finish by managing client communication, presentations, production schedules, team delegation and collaboration, design process, quality control, onsite or studio production logistics and coordination, and final delivery/completion of projects.
Design, Production, & Studio Management
- Apply a strong understanding of mural design and production to interior and exterior mural and painting projects.
- Identify, create, and implement strategies and systems for studio management, maintenance, and file/spatial organization. Ensure all aspects of the project are uploaded, accessible, and maintained through to project closing.
- Develop a team workflow with a strong sense of deadline and time management.
- Delegate the design process, including the creation of design concepts and final designs, to a team of 10 Junior Muralists (JMs) and 5 subcontracted Artists/Designers.
- Coordinate expectations, production timelines, and invoicing with third party Designers/Artists (subcontracting).
- Monitor project budgets: human and material resources against project budget parameters and create solutions that maximize efficiency and produce quality results. Ensure all materials are purchased and ready for use as needed in the production schedule.
- React to project adjustments and alterations promptly and efficiently, as well as troubleshoot any problems that arise during production.
Youth Workforce Development
- Create and communicate clear expectations to Junior Muralists by making project goals, action plans, schedules, files, and materials accessible.
- Design curriculum that strengthens JMs’ understanding of client management, the design and production process, creative problem solving, and interpersonal communication skills (among team members and as part of the client management and relationship building process).
- Identify training opportunities, workshops, field trips, activities, etc. that inspire JMs.
- Build a relationship with each JM through active conversation and one-on-one instruction, ensuring their professional development.
- Share important information to JMs regarding ArtWorks activities and programs that they can leverage.
- Track JM attendance/lateness, approve hours worked, and evaluate performance.
- Support the Impact Department in compiling JM stories/qualitative data and ensure their participation in completing any evaluations and surveys.
- Establish and maintain positive client relationships to determine project scope, expectations, deadlines, pricing and budget development, and invoicing of clients.
- Lead the development and pitching of project proposals/presentations and creative briefs.
- Facilitate ongoing communication amongst the client, JM production teams, Artists/Designers (when needed), and ArtWorks Impact Team during the project cycle.
- Act as an ArtWorks ambassador to current and potential clients and guests.
Qualifications and experiences:
- Commitment to ArtWorks’ mission, vision, values, culture and Equity, Diversity, Inclusion & Accessibility Plan
- BFA preferred, or equivalent experience
- 5+ years experience in mural production and design
- Experience managing projects, design process, and clients from start to completion
- Experience leading, mentoring and managing a team of diverse experiences and talents
- Proficiency in digital design software – Illustrator, Photoshop, Coral Paint, and Procreate preferred
- Excellent project management skills (time management, verbal and written communication, presentation,
- Must be willing to work outside of normal business hours when needed
- Core competencies: relationship builder, thrive through collaboration, champion diversity, embrace change, and approach opportunities with creativity.
Skills and abilities:
- Excellent organizational, problem-solving and decision-making skills
- Strong written and verbal communications skills
- Ability to manage time well, particularly while managing competing priorities
- Proficiency with MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and information management systems
- Adhere to ethical behavior and business practices
- Detail oriented
- Curious about facts and trends; a continuous learner
- Sets priorities, develops work plans and schedules, monitors and reports progress
- Comfortable working with community partners, youth, artists and across departments
- Manage sensitive and confidential information with integrity
- Work cooperatively and effectively with others to set goals, solve problems and make decisions that improve team/organizational effectiveness and drive results
- Anticipate, understand, and respond to the needs of clients
- Creative, flexible and innovative, with proven ability to implement projects
- Be part of an amazing mission and make a mark in transforming the Greater Cincinnati region with public art, building community, and investing in young artists
- Help build a future home for ArtWorks with a site for permanent art studios, gallery, and event space to build a more vibrant community
- Be part of a dynamic team that embraces a growth mindset
- Be part of a collaborative, creative and flexible work culture that is people centered.
- Join a team that values diversity, equity, and inclusion in community-centered work that creates positive change. Read our full commitment here.
Please apply by submitting your cover letter, resume, 10 portfolio samples, and references here. For the portfolio samples, please include large scale projects that you have worked on and artwork of your own design. Please combine all images into one PDF document no larger than 4MB. Upload using the additional materials button.
ArtWorks is an award-winning Greater Cincinnati nonprofit that transforms people and places through investments in creativity. The organization collaborates with community organizations and residents, businesses, governments, foundations and nonprofits to build creative works of art that bolster the region’s global reputation as an arts destination. ArtWorks employs professional artists who inspire and mentor diverse teams of youth, ages 14-21, helping them build 21st century career-readiness skills. These teams have completed more than 14,000 public and private art projects in its 25 years, including more than 200 permanent outdoor murals.